Wednesday 21 May 2014

35 weeks…no complications yet a cesarean is mentioned...

Type 1 Diabetes has been part of my life for the past 27 years, so saying I don't really know what life is like without it, is an understatement.

On becoming pregnant I was a little worried the moment I found out because I didn't feel as prepared as I wanted to be - but as we know, you can't plan for everything in life, even the tiny miracles :)

My pregnancy journey has been amazing. Honestly, I was never sick, I wasn't severely exhausted, I had lots of energy and felt positive and blessed the entire time. Yes I've had a couple of emotional moments, literally a couple, and weeks where I felt a little less energetic as usual, but overall I have literally loved being pregnant.

Besides the slight swelling of my ankles in the last couple of weeks and the hip pain that wakes me up about every two hours, I'm still doing very well.

My blood pressure is normal, my blood sugars are great, I'm measuring completely normal and still feeling the same as I did (minus my workouts and outfits) pre-pregnancy.

So it's frustrating when today at my weekly doctor's appointment, my OB tells me how amazing I'm doing but in the same sentence mentions a planned cesarean due to his concerns about shoulder dystocia (as he's backing out of the room I might add). The baby is still measuring on the bigger side (his abdomen) but he is still only in the 78 percentage which isn't crazy big by any means.

The reason they measure the baby's belly for diabetics is:

Babies born to diabetic mothers are often larger than normal. This is because blood glucose passes directly from you to your baby, so if you have high blood glucose levels your baby will produce extra insulin to compensate. This can lead to your baby storing more fat and tissue.

This pregnancy has been a blessing for my husband and I - a complete miracle, a complete surprise, and a complete natural event. Everything has gone so well, and still is, so it is hard to hear someone say, in so many words, well…just to be careful let's say you might not be able to deliver this baby, even though nothing is actually wrong...

I guess I wanted to write this post to express my frustrations. Yes I have T1 Diabetes, but nothing about my pregnancy has been high risk. I can't be under the care of a midwife, which I have accepted, but it doesn't mean I don't still believe in natural childbirth. I live my life as natural and holistic as possible, and it is this part of me that I feel makes me who I am. 

I'm not saying that I would ever do anything to put my baby, or myself, at risk. But I need hard facts…I need a reason to why this planned cesarean "might" have to be the only option for me. I'm not against cesareans, but I also need to feel that the decisions being made are for my health and the baby's health - not for convenience. 

I respect the OB I'm working with immensely, but if he wants to convince me this is the route we have to take that's exactly what he's going to have to do - convince us with hard facts, statistics and reasons related to my health and the baby's health specifically. 

Unfortunately for him I'm not going to be an easy sell - especially with the residents I've seen through this pregnancy who just assumed I was having a c/s because well, that's what we do with diabetics.

So wish my husband and I luck with this new development and whatever is meant to happen will, that's the one thing we agree on completely - the universe has it's plan and as long as everyone is safe and healthy that's all that matters!

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment