Monday 10 February 2014

Carbs for breakfast

If you're like me, I went from smoothies and grapefruit for breakfast to needing more carbohydrates (breads) for breakfast when I became pregnant.

I wouldn't call it a craving as much as just a smoothie and fruit left my stomach feeling empty in less than an hour, so I would need something more substantial.

If you have been following me for awhile you also know I try to eat as gluten-fee as well as flour-free as much as possible. 

So yesterday when I woke up wanting pancakes so badly for Sunday morning brunch I had to improvise without eggs or pancake mix!

Luckily I'm resourceful and stock a random selection of gluten-free flours for muffins and flatbreads when I'm in the mood for cooking ;) So welcome:

Amaranth Cinnamon Pacakes 

2 cups of amaranth flour
½ cup of flax meal
2 tbsp of cinnamon
3 tbsp baking powder
1 tbsp cane or coconut sugar 
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp coconut oil
½ cup of water
3 cups of almond milk

Mix dry ingredients together then add wet ingredients, stir until mixed not necessarily smooth and cook in a pan with coconut oil over medium heat - top with butter and maple syrup or whatever you fancy!

You could also add cardamom, ginger and clove to make it more of a chai flavour too yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment