The lentil mix was called Autumn and consisted of red, brown, yellow, black and green lentils. I'm sad I didn't get a picture of the dried lentils because the colour contrast was so amazing.
Anyway, I made this soup up with the few ingredients I had at the house - and it still turned out pretty amazing!
Spicy Autumn Lentil Soup
2 cups of dried lentils
3 large carrots
1 large yellow onion
4 Collard leaves
2 tsbp Chile Flakes
2 tbsp Grapeseed oil
2 cloves of Garlic
1 tbsp Turmeric
Dash of Curry Powder
3 Bay leaves
• Soak the lentils overnight in a pot of water. Drain and rinse well.
• Saute chopped onion and garlic in grapeseed oil over medium heat for 5 minutes
• Add 2 cups of veggie stock and 1 cup of water along with chopped carrots, bay leaves, chile flakes turmeric and black pepper – bring to a boil
• Once boiling, bring down to a simmer and cook covered for 20 minutes
• Add in chopped collards for 5 minutes at the end
• Sprinkle black pepper and extra chiles if desired when serving
This soup is hearty, healthy and delicious with a bit of spice!
If you want to plan ahead extra ingredients you could include:
- Celery or Celery Root