This delicious pasta bowl was a collaboration of a Pesto recipe from Meals that Heal Inflammation by Julie Daniluk, and my own creativity!
This dish can be enjoyed warm or cold...and is spectacular the next day for lunch!
Vegan Kale Pasta Bowl
TruRoots Quinoa/Amaranth/Brown Rice Spaghetti (available at Costco)
Vegan Pesto - sunflower seeds, EVOO, lemon juice, basil, garlic
4 large leaves of Kale chopped
• Cook spaghetti pasta as you normally would
• Sauté mushrooms in coconut oil and garlic - 1 clove pressed
• Sauté chopped kale in coconut oil, chile flakes and garlic - 1 clove pressed
(I did it separately from the mushrooms but to save time you could do them together)
• Cut fresh tomatoes to top your dish with
• Heat pesto in a sauce pan to warm - whether you made it at the same time or prior to
• Mix spaghetti, pesto, mushrooms and kale in a large bowl
• Top with black pepper, tomatoes and parmasen cheese if you wish and aren't vegan or dairy-free!
Pesto (exact measurements are up to you these are just basic guidelines)
3/4 cup of sunflower seeds
1 cup of EVOO
2 cloves of garlic
1/2 lemon squeezed
5 large basil leaves
Mix all ingredients together in a food processor!
Again, it's better to add MORE greens that pasta so you aren't over-doing it with the carbs to raise your blood sugars. It's just as delicious and just as satisfying without feeling like you went overboard and ate too much! Use as much garlic, chile flakes and black pepper as you wish - I like the hint of spice with the pesto and garlic mushrooms!