Monday 16 July 2012

Kale, Chickpea, Slaw Salad

What better way to start your week than with a healthy, delicious and of course nutritious salad! I call this the Kale, Chickpea, Slaw Salad because those are the main players however if you know me, of course there is some crunch, avocado and lemon goodness!

Kale, Chickpea, Slaw Salad

2 cups of chopped kale
1/2 cup of chickpeas mixed with olive oil, oregano, parsley and black pepper
Slaw mix: julienned red pepper, yellow pepper, carrots and zucchini
1 avocado
3 tbsps of Hemp Hearts
Small handful of Pumpkin seeds

Top with apple cider vinegar, fresh lemon juice and a sprinkle of tumeric!




With this fun salad you have protein, carbohydrates, fiber and lots of other green veggie goodness! 
The chickpeas have approximately 21g of carbs per 1/2 cup serving, and the avocado was pretty small so I would count it as 10g of carbs. I would give myself 2.5 units because there is also a lot of fiber in both and I usually give insulin depending on the food itself and the ration 10g = 1 unit.

The thing I like about this salad as well is that it's filling, it has lots of protein from the various sources, and it's still refreshing and good for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment