This soup is a variation on my other broccoli/spinach soup - and it packs more protein and is extra creamy all from one different ingredient - beans! When the weather gets colder and you want to stay inside more often than usual, having a delicious soup on hand is key. I usually make about 3-4 mason jars full and keep them in the fridge to eat throughout the week!
2 heads of broccoli and all stems
1 can of white cannellini beans
1 yellow onion
3 cloves of garlic
Veggie Stock (I use 1.5 cubes and 4 cups of water)
Black Pepper and Sea Salt to taste
• Saute pressed garlic and diced onions for 5 minutes in grapeseed oil
• Add water and veggie stock and bring to a boil
• Add broccoli and beans (well-rinsed) and turn down to a simmer for 25 minutes
• Remove from heat, let cool for 15 minutes and then puree in batches
• For an added touch put some small broccoli florets at the soup of each bowl when serving and if you do prefer cheese I would add some sharp white cheddar or parmesan for a nice flavour!
This soup is so good with the beans and even though broccoli already has protein, the beans give this soup an even higher protein count AND make it smoother and creamier! It is SO easy to make too - I had this going at the same time as an oatmeal bake and cacao muffins in the oven - multi-tasking at it's best!!!